6 Signs That Your Are Settling
The world is crazy. It probably always has been. We don’t want to get embarrassed, humiliated, shamed, ridiculed, or targeted. So, we play it safe. Protecting ourselves from harm is a good thing. It is built into our genetic code.
But when is playing it safe and settling for less than we deserve not a good thing?
Freudian theory, according to the pleasure–pain principle, says we’re conditioned to move away from pain and towards pleasure. If something is bang in the middle, we can get stuck. Your job might not set your soul on fire, but it doesn’t send you to the work toilets in tears either. Refinery 29.com
Bang in the middle feels safe. We aren’t crossing any lines, generating feelings of unease or trepidation. However, neither are we living with passion, joy, and a sense of meaning.
So, what do we do?
How to not play it safe.
- Objectively ponder about your past. One of the easiest ways to learn from past mistakes evaluating your past without emotion.
- Ditch conformity. Step outside your comfort zone. Playing it safe correlates with stagnation.
- Fear keeps people playing it safe their entire lives. Don’t let fear get a hold of and paralyze your dreams and ambitions.
- Stop settling. Whether it be a job or in your personal life, deem yourself worthy of a meaningful and exciting life.
- Are you living in limbo. Afraid to step this way or that for fear of failure. Afraid of deciding or taking a chance. Your life is ticking away.
- OK, you have made mistakes, who hasn’t. Your regrets are holding you back! Let go of them. You are the only one who can. Let go of your regrets to open the door to a wonderous future.
Cultivate a growth mindset and practice self-care. Flex your physical and mental fitness by taking small thought out and calculated risks. Overtime, these build confidence and resilience both of which giving us the power to achieve our goals and surmount obstacles.
Open yourself to endless opportunity by being yourself, taming your fears, recognizing your worth, and letting go of past mistakes and failures.
Take good care of your physical and mental health and replace perfectionism with personal growth. Your self-confidence will grow as you experiment with small risks and succeed.
Have fun with your mistakes.
Do something scary today.
Don’t let fear hold you back.
Trust in your innate power and resilience.
Janice Tovey 2024